The autumn season is the perfect time for central Pennsylvania families to have a little weekend fun. The weather is crisp and the options are aplenty. We have found loads of local family-friendly events and spooky spots that will let you embrace the season. So, go out this weekend and make a few fall family memories.
Have an a-MAZE-ing time getting lost!
The Paulus Orchards corn maze is one of several mazes across the country selected by the Peanuts organization to feature Peanuts characters in honor of the 50th anniversary of “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.” In addition to the maze, your admission fee includes entry into their PlayLand, which offers pedal karts, wagon and train rides, tube slides, rubber duck races, giant checkers and much more!
Penn’s Cave and Wild Life park offers a new take on the fall maze with their Haunted Miner’s Maze. Families can explore their dimly lit, 4,800 sq. ft. maze to locate hidden checkpoints. Don’t fret, this maze is designed for family-friendly eerie fun. There will be no gruesome sights. In addition, the best times through the maze win a prize!
Spend a day on the farm.
Fall Harvest Days at Ashcombe farm is a place to make memories. They offer a host of activities for all ages. Take a horse drawn hayride, or have a hay-day with their hay slide and hay jump. Be sure to pick your own perfect Halloween pumpkin before you leave. They also have a variety of special events that vary each weekend.
Focus on the real fall harvest at Strite’s Orchard. Aside from the traditional pumpkins, they offer a multitude of farm fresh fall produce that will inspire even the pickiest of eaters. While you’re their try their fresh apple cider and delicious baked goods.
It’s a date!
Mark your calendars for these thrilling events happening throughout the fall months.
- October 11th The Mechanicsburg Halloween Parade and October 17th The Carlisle Halloween parade Join thousands of spooky spectators at these great community events.
- October 15th Little Buffalo State Park Apple Festival See demonstrations of cider squeezing, apple butter boiling, and corn grinding at historic Shoaff’s Mill in Little Buffalo State Park.
- October 20th and 21st The Wildwood Lake Magical Trail Kids ages 3 and up will meet Wildwood’s talking animals and learn what they are up to as day turns to night. The evening will conclude around a campfire where everyone can make s’mores and sip cider.
- October 29th Ghoulish Gallop Fun Run/Walk Each runner will receive a t-shirt to be worn during the race. The runners will stop at four designated goblin stops and devour gooey treats in the prescribed ghostly manner. Drips, splatters, mouth smears, and hand wipes are highly encouraged on your fresh white shirt to scare away the monsters.
- November 5th Cherry Crest Farm’s Annual Pumpkin Madness Festival They will take leftover Halloween pumpkins and transform the farm into a frenzy of pumpkin destruction! Throwing, launching, hurling, rolling, dropping & smashing are all part of the festivities.
- November 19th Harrisburg Holiday Parade The City of Harrisburg presents their annual Holiday parade, featuring musical acts, floats, parade balloons, food vendors and much more.
We love to see our Tender Years students enjoying the season, post pictures on our Facebook page or tag us @TenderYearsPA in your post!